MSc / Postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Biotechnology
Three great reasons to consider this course
- Only course specialising in Agricultural Biotechnology in Ireland
- Delivered by experienced researchers and industry professionals at the cutting edge of Agricultural Biotechnology research and development.
- Hands-on experience and A.I. technician course included.
The MSc/Postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Biotechnology is a unique offering from DkIT and was developed in partnership with Teagasc, Alltech and Monaghan Biosciences in response to a changing agricultural climate and to meet the demands of the growing agri-food sector in Ireland.
The MSc programme in Agricultural Biotechnology aims to produce graduates with a deep knowledge, understanding and experience of the range of tools used to manipulate the genetic make-up of animals and plants to increase production and processing in a sustainable and future proof manner.
Students will study animal genetics, plant and animal breeding for higher efficiency, animal nutrition and health, crop yields, increased resistance to environmental stresses, genetic engineering for crop improvement, reduced dependence on chemical fertilisers and pesticides, sustainable energy production, bioinformatics and bioremediation. Graduates will be familiar with all aspects of policy and legislation in relation to this field and will be able to appraise the ethical, social, biosafety and policy implications of existing and emerging technologies. They will be competent in all the relevant data acquisition and numeric methods and have advanced research and communication skills.
The Master's course consists of 8 taught modules and a research project. The Postgraduate Diploma is comprised of the 8 taught modules only.
- Animal Biotechnology
- Animal Genetics
- Crop Biotechnology
- Bioremediation and Bioenergy
- Biotechnology in Animal Feeds
- Food Biotechnology
- GIS, Data Management and Statistics
- Agricultural Biotechnology Project (M.Sc. only)
This programme has a modularised, semesterised format. The programme commences in September and students will attend on a full-time basis over three semesters delivered over a calendar year (i.e. Sept – Sept).
Module delivery is flexible with full-time students attending classes 2 days a week. The MSc course is available in part-time mode (1 day per week over 2 years). The Postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Biotechnology is also available in full- time mode or part-time mode (1 day per week over 2 years).
The course involves a blend of classroom and practical hands-on activities. Learning and teaching methods will include lectures, tutorials, master classes, group discussions, laboratory practicals, industrial and farm visits, computational analysis and both individual and group project work.
There are many employment prospects for graduates of these programmes, with past graduates obtaining employment in a variety of sectors. Possible positions of employment include:
- Research positions within Teagasc, Dept. of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food or 3rd level institutions;
- Auditors or inspectors in the Agri-Food sector;
- Quality Management / Quality Assurance roles in the Agri-Food industry;
- Scientists/laboratory analysts;
- Food product development scientists.
Graduates of this Programme will be able to progress to level 10 research programmes, both in DkIT and other organisations.
Within the Centre for Freshwater and Environmental Studies in DkIT, graduates may avail of Level 9 and 10 research opportunities in the areas of organic waste management and bioenergy.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Biotechnology €5,100 – payable in two stages
- MSc in Agricultural Biotechnology €7, 650 – payable in two stages.
Entrants should have a minimum of a 2nd class honours degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Science, Environmental Science, Biotechnology, Food Science or a related area.
Graduates of other disciplines will be assessed for entry in line with the Institute’s RPL policy and procedures.
International students must have a minimum level of English equivalent to IELTS 6.5.
This course is best suited to the following types of students:
- Students who are currently working in the Agriculture, Environmental and Food Science areas who wish to progress to management level.
- Students who want to be equipped with both the science and agricultural knowledge and skills to succeed in the emerging technology-driven Ag Biotech industry.
- Students who are interested in integrating the most up to date advances in food production, farming and biotechnologies in a sustainable and low-carbon manner.
- Students that are interested in learning about how biotechnology can offer sustainable solutions to many of the problems currently facing agriculture.
|Duration||1-2 Years (Full time or Part-time)|
|School||School of Health & Science|
|Department||Agriculture, Food and Animal Health|
|Awarding Body||Dundalk Institute of Technology|
|Fees||€7650 / €5100|
How to Apply
You should apply using the DkIT Postgraduate Application (see download button below).
Please include an up-to-date CV with your application form and send completed applications to:
Admissions Officer, Dundalk Institute of Technology, Dublin Road, Dundalk, Co. Louth
Potential students may be interviewed.